New year is a time for reflection. But this year, instead of looking back over how 2017 went for me, I would like to look to the future.
So, here are 18 reminders, notes to myself, for 2018.
1. Do not feel the need to constantly compare yourself to other people. People live different lives. You’re doing yours in your own way.
2. Your best is enough. Don’t burn yourself out. Try to find ways in which you can better yourself without having to sacrifice looking after yourself.
3. Persistence and tenacity are great attributes to have. Don’t be embarrassed to keep trying. That’s a skill which can transport you to great places!
4. Saying no to something once in a while isn’t a failure. It’s okay to take time for yourself.
5. Be assertive and say what you feel. Don’t hedge around an issue, but go into everything you do with a kind and polite attitude and you won’t go wrong.
6. Be brave enough to put yourself out there. Be open to the opportunities that you might not otherwise grasp, you never know where they could lead.
7. Always look for new opportunities for learning. You’re surrounded by people and things that can teach you so much about the world.
8. You don’t have to fill in every silence. Reflecting and composing yourself before you speak is okay and often earns you more respect. Don’t babble.
9. Work to continue fighting for the things you’re passionate about. Don’t let others misconceptions about something make you doubt yourself.
10. Your biggest critic is yourself. Don’t add unnecessary pressure onto yourself.
11. You don’t have to be three hours early to everything.
12. Surround yourself with the people who lift you up. Keep your family and friends close, and don’t sweat the little things. Life’s too short.
13. Don’t get too caught up in worrying about things before they happen. What will be, will be.
14. Work hard, play hard. This will be your final year as a student. Concentrate, knuckle down, but have fun too.
15. Don’t panic if you’re not well. This is normal for you. Stay calm and take time to recover.
16. Don’t feel the need to justify everything you do. Have conviction in your own decisions and opinions.
17. Do more exercise! You’ll feel better for it.
18. Mistakes will be made. That’s okay. But always, always learn from them.
Happy new year.